In May 1977, I rented a dirt lot in downtown Nantucket Island, bought a folding table and cash box from the local thrift shop for 50 cents, unloaded my 15 new mopeds and started my first official business. I learned many invaluable lessons that summer and after countering my pennies ($55,000) at the summer's end, I tendered back the three remaining years on my ROTC scholarship and set about on my expansion for world domination in the recreational rental industry.
I am a serial entrepreneur who specializes in the establishment and operation of niche market replicable business enterprises. Here is a humble list of various ventures.
- Started the first moped U.S. rental business, eventually expanded to 100 locations (Nantucket Moped 1977)
- First one to integrate beach stores with rental business and created a large chain (Island Beach Company 1980)
- One of founding members of largest international network of entrepreneurs (YEO 1987)
- Created the first "Dolphin Tour" business using jet boats on guided tours through wild dolphin habitats (Water Tours 1995)
- Established the first franchised rental chain of bicycle, mopeds, Harley—DAVIDSONS, exotic cars, water sports (Fun Rentals 1996)
- Created the first integrated media rich commercial email marketing business (Cybertising 2000)
- Invented the "Insert-A-Zine" niche-publishing concept (NightLife Magazine! 2001)
- Started the first "open source entrepreneur- ship" organization in U.S. (Club Entrepreneur 2006)
- Started the first independent accredited College of Entrepreneurship in U.S. (GCU CoE 2007)
- Created the template to open CoEs through development of own curriculum and business process (IfE 2007)
- Pioneered the expanded market for Cost Segregation Studies, introducing a Patent Pending for unique applications (CSS 2008)
- Established the first self-contained entrepreneurship center in U.S. (eFactory/Club E Office 2009)
- Co-founded the first financing organization for "Creatives" (singers, film producers, artists) (FundingWagon.com, 2013)